Expansion of Outdoor Dining

The City of Glenwood Springs recognizes on-going challenges of reopening restaurants in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

City Council will be considering a resolution related to processing applications for extending liquor licenses administratively and for those to extend into locations such as sidewalks, alleys and some parking spaces on Thursday, May 21. The modification of premises must be approved locally and by the state.  The City is not charging a separate fee for the liquor modification of premises.

All applications are dependent upon the Governor’s modifications of the Stay at Home Order.

Through 2020, the City offers use of public outdoor spaces for expanded dining. This program is intended for all licensed retail food establishments (as defined by 6CCR 1010-2) and retail establishments that serve specialty foods and beverages (e.g. ice cream shops, coffee houses, bars/brew pubs). Mobile food vendors are not eligible for outdoor dining under this program.

Please click on the Outdoor Seating Policy Application 2020 link to learn more.  The summary within this application contains information on the following:  

  • Outdoor Dining Location
  • General Guidelines
  • Tables, Chairs, Umbrellas
  • Barriers
  • Serving Alcohol
  • Sanitation
  • Application and Lease Required
  • Review Process

If you want to serve alcohol, you will be required to amend your liquor license to include your outdoor dining area. 

The application can be found by clicking the Temporary Modification of Premises Application link.  Please make sure to complete Item 9 on the application.  Applications must contain a control plan, as well as a diagram of the licensed area and the proposed area.  Please email your application to catherine.fletcher@cogs.us.  Instructions are also available by clicking the Temporary Modification of Premises Instructions link.

More information regarding Temporary Modification of on Premise Licenses can be found here.

The fee is $150 for the COVID-19 Temporary Modification of Premises Application.  These will be canceled after COVID -19.  Online payments to the Liquor Enforcement Division (LED) can be made here: here.  The payment site is only for state license fees or fines.  

If you cannot pay online, we can accept a check with the application.  

Please mail the application and check payment to: 

City of Glenwood Springs
Attn:  Catherine Fletcher
101 W. 8th St.
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601

The application will then be forwarded on for state review.  State will perform concurrent review on these applications to speed up the process.

Outdoor Dining Program

Outdoor Dining in Glenwood Springs